IL Equal Justice Foundation Hiring Program Director
Illinois Equal Justice Foundation
Job Posting: Program Director (full-time)
About the Illinois Equal Justice Foundation:
Created with the passage of the Illinois Equal Justice Act in 1999, the Illinois Equal Justice Foundation (IEJF) administers and advocates for the state appropriation for civil legal aid. Since its first grant round in 2001, the IEJF has awarded $23.3 million in grants to nonprofit legal aid organizations across the state serving over 560,000 vulnerable Illinoisans impacted by domestic violence, foreclosure and consumer fraud.
In August 2015, Governor Rauner signed a technical amendment to the Access to Justice Act (2013) allowing for a $2 add-on to civil filing fees to fund the development, implementation and evaluation of a legal aid hotline and supporting legal services for Veterans and active military. The IEJF is the recipient of these funds that will sunset in 2020. The IEJF seeks a highly motivated individual to manage this new project as well as increase the organization’s grant-making capacity.
The Program Director will lead the implementation of the programming created by Public Act 099-0281. The Program Director reports to the Executive Director as well as to the Illinois Access to Civil Justice Council (“Council”), a steering committee that oversees the military/veterans legal project.
• Engage veteran and military service organizations across the state in order to assess civil legal needs and promote new hotline services.
• Engage legal aid community statewide to develop veteran/military specific services on a host of civil legal issues.
• Engage legal community statewide to develop a pro bono program to support civil legal aid programming.
• Staff grant-making process to provide grants to legal aid organizations providing services to veterans and active military. Assist in staffing all IEJF grant cycles.
• Design evaluation metrics for the project. Research evaluation consultants if needed and provide recommendations for hire to Executive Director and Council.
• Provide staff support for evaluation process to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the services provided by the program.
• Provide analyses and recommendations to the Executive Director and Council.
• Ensure timely compliance with all reporting requirements of state government, and other regulatory authorities.
• Work with the Executive Director to prepare and administer annual grant budgets and fee-for-service contracts.
• Liaison to veterans, military and legal aid organizations as well as to any consultants hired for the project.
• Liaison to the Council. Provide staff support to Council, including all aspects of Council meetings (ie., set up, materials, minutes).
• Attend Board meetings, communicating status of Access to Justice Project to the Board.
• Support other IEJF special projects and grant-making.
• Law degree required.
• Demonstrated experience in and commitment to public interest law.
• Military experience or significant work experience in the military/veterans services space preferred.
• Demonstrated leadership and project management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture strong relationships with individuals and organizations.
• Understanding of program design, grant-making and legal aid issues facing military/veterans community.
• Strong computer and social media skills, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Word Press, Face Book and Twitter.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with non-lawyer audiences about legal topics as well as with executive level management and the Board of Directors.
• Experience managing teams.
• Ability to provide self-direction and accountability.
• Good judgment, critical thinking skills, and attention to detail.
• Willingness and ability to travel. Valid driver’s license.
• Demonstrated commitment to Illinois Equal Justice Foundation’s mission and goals (see www.iejf.org).
Successful candidates will explain in a detailed cover letter how their qualifications and experience complement the position requirements. Candidates will also include their salary requirements in said cover letter. Email resumes and cover letters addressed to Leslie Corbett, Executive Director, to email@example.com by November 30.